These past few months have been very busy. It all started March 2nd when we decided to enjoy our freedom of movement. We went snowboarding at Wolf Mountain. It happened to be a very warm, sunshine day, therefore a sunburn occurred. Dave is really good at snowboarding and I have been maybe 5 times in 7 years, therefore pain also occurred at every inch of my body. It was a good way to celebrate mobility right?! Taking it away from myself.
The next day I taught the Relief Society lesson and started my nightly shots of Lupron for IVF. Tuesday, my throat really hurt and felt hard to breath. Of course I did not think much of it. Wednesday morning I woke up with a rash on my left arm that was really annoying. Later that night I was in charge of of a Relief Society Activity. Everything went well with lots of fun. As we were cleaning up the activity, I turned and pointed with my right arm and a sharp pain in my shoulder muscles and bicep. Once again I thought nothing of it, did dishes at home and hoped to sleep it off. I slept with a heating pad on my shoulder and an ice pack on my rash that was burning.
Thursday, March 7th at 2 a.m. came around and I could not move either arm more that two inches above my body. I was in so much pain I could not even cry. I was able to move myself out of the bedroom and into the family room on the couch to try to stretch my arms. I slept little that night. The next morning I pretended that nothing was wrong and forgot about the night and got ready for the day of substituting. Dave came in to say good bye and I immediately started to cry. Dave being the amazing man that he is took care of me and called the doctor though I said I was fine. When he called, he explained everything but the nurse was confused on the location on my rash. The nurse asked several times where my rash was. Dave responded, "her left arm." The nurse asked, "Are you sure it is not on her stomach where the shots go?" Dave said, "I am pretty sure that it is on her left arm." This really annoyed Dave.
We made it to the doctors and they were all very surprised to see a reaction like this to what we thought was Lupron. They thought it was a reaction to the sunburn that I got Saturday or an autoimmune problem. The IVF office sent me to the dermatologist where some testing and lab work was done. The skin biopsy confirmed the thought of a reaction to the Lupron.
* * * * * * * *
Two months later, Monday, April 29th I started a new set of shots which was the last method possible for IVF. This hormone therapy consisted of four shots a night for only 8 days! These shots caused great pain in my back especially and a fat, hard belly. We had retrieval on Wednesday, May 8th in the morning. They were able to get 6 eggs! This is more than they excepted (usually they retrieve 10-15 but I am by far not normal). Today we learned that 3 were successfully fertilized! We will be doing implantation in the up going months once my body has rested from the high doses of hormones!
2 comments:
Oh Chelsea, I am so excited for you and Dave!!!! I hope it all goes well. You have been in my thoughts often. I love you, dear friend!
Chels, you are such a trooper. You never let on when you are hurting or how bad the pain is. So excited for this new chapter about to happen in your lives!
Love, Mom and Poppie
Post a Comment